Monday, June 20, 2016

You're Never Alone

One of the misconceptions of independent cinema is the idea that independent means you do it on your own. It does feel like that at times, but you're never really alone in your endeavors.

As a writer, I am alone in front of that computer screen. I'm there with my notes, my thoughts and that keyboard trying to fashion a story together. I may ask for feedback from trusted sources, but no one is writing the story for me.

But after that screenplay is written, I cannot continue without the help. When I step back and look at the actual act of creating a short film, I'm always amazed at the willingness of so many people to help create my vision. The passion of others to make something I've written into a reality is as surprising as it is powerful.

I should've recognized this earlier in my indie career.

In mid-2002, myself and a few of my friends had already formed a small production company. The idea, not a new on, was to work on short films and support each other through the process. We did a variety of commercials for the production company, which all participated in, but the majority of the short films were written and directed by me and I was done with short films. I wanted to do a feature.

We had a meeting. I stated my intention. And I added an escape hatch for my friends, because I didn't want to impose my desire to shoot a feature. I offered the chance for my friends to not be involved in the feature. I knew it would cost money and time, and I didn't want my friends to feel like I was demanded that from them.

I wanted all of us to be independent in our work. I didn't want the production company to be just about me. To my own career detriment, I cared too much of the success of my friends. I wanted them to be as passionate as I was. Looking back, knowing what I know now, of courser they would say yes.

We were in it together. We did shot that feature in the summer of 2003. It was a great experience. We had some disagreements and it was a challenge to finish, but finish we did. I couldn't have done it without them.

I'm never alone when I make a movie.

3 comments:

  1. Alex, I have mixed feelings about this one. It seems as though even though you may feel as though you are alone when directly writing into your computer that your alone. Maybe you are physically, but emotionally, I'm sure so many people have talked to you about what it is that your working on. They're not right there at that moment, but they're there in spirit. You are not alone when the feelings of doubt my pop in and out at times (in the creative process I mean) it's hard to feel like everything's always super awesome, it's hard. It's a lot of work, mostly work that not many people even get to witness. The writing, the thinking of what it is you want to write about etc. Maybe not too, maybe it's all out there and many people see all of the aspects of what you do, but 9 times of 10 (esp for myself too) not many people see the process. The process is something that's in your mind- then on paper-then into the hands of someone else. I'm happy to see that your friends and you finished the feature film as well. So much time is spent just chipping away, getting people to work together, and maybe even taking a step back too.

    -Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you might hold off on those congrats if you ever saw the film. :) Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
    2. Well, you might hold off on those congrats if you ever saw the film. :) Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete